Thursday, September 4, 2008

In Search of the Great Soul

The verdict is in and Sarah Palin did well. Though a single speech does not a vice-president make, she brought the full force of her political life and intellect, not to mention her photogenic family, to bear on this the first of her defining moments before the national gaze.

She did well. And so did Giuliani. And Thompson and Lieberman the night before. In fact, Obama did well himself, and Biden, though less smooth, kept his end of the bargain too. All held our attention. All positioned themselves or their candidate as patriots fit for our moment in time. All took the strategic swipe at the other side. All sent the faithful away assured that truth lives on.

Yet, as we near the last night of the last convention, I find myself yearning not just for greater speech craft but for speeches by larger souls. I find myself longing for the poetry that surfaces in the life of passionate patriots, the love of fellow man and country that animates great leadership, and the tethering of all of this to a faith that elevates beyond the merely human. I’m not looking for a flutter in my heart and a mist in my eyes. I’m looking for a speech that is more principle than procedure from someone who is more statesman than symbol in words fashioned for mobilizing and not just marketing. In other words, I want to be assured that a great soul, tempered by grief but touched by compassion, is about to take the helm of the ship of state.

I don’t think I ask too much. I’ve been re-reading Ronald Reagan’s 1980 acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention in Detroit. You should read it. Reagan spoke of the destiny of America and her genius for leadership. He led his listeners on a tour of American history that began with the landing of the Mayflower in 1620 and continued to the present. He trashed Jimmy Carter’s scolding ways, called for a new economic model and then explained that the need for a strong America was not for Americans alone, but for the world—for our European allies and for boat people from Cuba. America, he told us, has a rendezvous with destiny.

Then, questioning whether we can “doubt that only a Divine Providence placed this land, this island of freedom, here as a refuge for all those people in the world who yearn to breathe freely,” Reagan haltingly said, “I confess that I‘ve been a little afraid to suggest what I’m going to suggest—I’m more afraid not to—that we begin our crusade joined together in a moment of silent prayer. God bless America.” And so it began.

I hold this up against the speeches we’ve heard and the souls we’ve had on parade in recent weeks. There is something missing. Or perhaps it is merely held in reserve, perhaps even unwittingly. Sarah Palin is a fine leader who will likely serve our country well. Oddly, though, there was no mention of faith in her speech last night, and this despite the fact that she is a strong Christian, a Pentecostal, in fact, who if elected will be the first Pentecostal to serve as vice-president. No mention of faith? No nod to God’s goodness in our history? No Reaganesque statement of reliance on providence to achieve our lofty goals? Hmm.

I found the same in Obama’s speech. At a Democratic Convention that was the most faith encased in history, Obama made none of the affirmations of faith for which he has become known. Nor did Biden, the devoted Catholic. Nor did other speakers for whom faith is native language.

Look, I have a church and I can read poetry for myself. I’m not looking for politicians to move me because I need the kind of motivational fix I get from watching Hoosiers or Rudy. But I will continue to insist that we elevate leaders who are more than just squabbling children in expensive suits. We need statesmanship. We need the artillery of words. We need souls so acquainted with suffering and grace that they can summon the soul of a nation.

Sarah Palin can probably do this. Her handlers should let her. McCain never has but he could if he leans to that greater side of himself. But whether they can do it or not, this is the quality of leadership for which we should pray and to which we should pledge our service.

1 comment:

Beatrice said...

Wow. Reading your column is like sinking into a feather bed at the Niagara Falls Hilton! Your words are as soothing and as thundering as the Falls.

Now out of my slumber...I pray that McCain will not feel threatened by Sarah Palin's success and strength in the limelight. She is a polished, faceted stone that will surely reflect light kindly upon McCain. I pray that he will allow himself to bask in the light she reflects and not hurry to kick the stone over.

Respectfully,